- May 4, 2017
- Posted by: Sean McGuire
- Category: Affordable Care Act, American Health Care Act, Medicaid, ObamaCare
After several weeks of negotiations, the American Health Care Act (AHCA) commonly referred to as TrumpCare is scheduled for a vote today. Watch it un-fold here.
Since the law was passed in March of 2010, the GOP has been ardent opponents of the Affordable Care Act commonly referred to as ObamaCare.
With control of both Chambers of Congress and their party in the White House, their odds of accomplishing it have never been this high.
There reasoning is that the prices and deductibles under the ACA are hurting their constituents and there is much less choice in the public marketplaces created under the Act.
On the other side, they are united in opposition to any republican efforts to change the ACA and their efforts were strengthened when the CBO revealed that millions could lose coverage under the GOP proposal.
This eventually caused it to be pulled from the floor.
There are two new amendments that could cause additional defectors so it should be an interesting outcome. You can watch it play out below.
- The GOP proposal has a fundamental difference than the GOP in that it goes to shift more power to state governments where the ACA was for a more federalized approach.
- Subsidies are scaled back and Medicaid is reformed through a block grant program creating concerns for lower income individuals.
- Many of the taxes in the original law will be repealed.
- If this bill passes the House there will difficulties in getting it through the Senate in current form.
Where to learn more:
Legislating can be a difficult process and ACA took over a year to become reality. Want to learn more about how the “sausage” is made inside the beltway? This segment will give you more information on the subject.
About E.D. Bellis
The mission of E.D. Bellis and our network of consultants is to raise awareness about problems in healthcare and actively solve them. America’s Healthcare Challenge is the longest running radio show dedicated to educating listeners and offering peace of mind. Please enjoy your time with us and reach out to us to learn more about optimizing your healthcare experience.